Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mother and Daughter

The older generation have this habit of saying 'wait till you are my age/ be a mum/ be a father....etc, then you will know how I feel'. Well, my mum said it to me when I was in my teens. Not that many times but I do remember those words.


Today I am a mum and my daughter just finish her teens. So did my mum's words came true? Sad to say, yes. Only difference is my reaction to the fact.

Yes, I understand how she felt every time I went with my friends, she is worried. She used to pull on a long face whenever I go out. It could be a show, or a day trip, it doesn't matter. She was never happy that I have to be away. I now know her worry as a mother. I feel the same way too when my children are not within my sight. Difference is, I remembered how it made me feel so miserable every time I step out of my home and I never want my children to have the same feelings. I don't want them to feel guilty about leaving as I did those days. Instead, I want to prepare them with the unexpected, ask Him to take over and then sent them off with a smile. This will includes the airport scene in a week's time.

Next, I used to be so upset when she wants to go out for a show, on trips and expected me to fulfill those wishes. As I am not energetic by nature, and especially when you work 5 days and wanted just a day to sleep in, none of those ideas sounds fun.I used to dread those days. Today I understand that she was lonely. She wanted companionship and wanted some activities. After being a housewife for so many years and being cooped up in the house, going out is something she looks forwards to every weekend. More so, when most people do enjoy going out and travelling unlike me. Today, whenever such feelings comes up,I tell myself everyone has their own life to lead. We each should have our own activities and not relied on others to full fill our life. We only lay down our request for some family time every week and after such time, release others.

So I hope that having gone through a guilty time, I hope to be a better mother and wife. Not that I love my mother any less.But I have learn to understand her better (unfortunately it is a little late)

No comments: