Monday, January 17, 2011

Learning from my children

I come from the generation of Chinese family(I don't know if it is a habit of other ethnic group) who believes in keeping bad news from those you love. For example if one is sick, they then to keep it from the spouse and children especially those that are far away for fear that it will distract them from whatever they are doing. I subscribed to this philosophy for many years. I also had told my children that if they have to choose between me and their spouse, I would understand if they have to lean over the other side because they have a family of their own. Family peace comes first that I believe, parents need to let go and bless the children.
But over conversations with my children and seeing what has happened around myself recently, I now beg to differ . My children are right. Give them the choice for they are matured enough to know and make their independent decisions. My children reminded me that they would like to know and share what goes around in the family (so don't keep bad news and information). I believe they are right. As parents we have brought them up matured, independent, have a good sense of right and wrong.If we have done a good job, we should allow them to be adults in the true sense of the word.
Respect them to make their decisions on their family and let them learn to approach the realities of life.

3 comments:

Adrian Yong said...

Yes!! You finally got it!! And if we get married, we will always remember that we are marrying into another family, not just another person.

chua said...

;)

djun said...

Amen