Wednesday, January 9, 2008

In Memory

Two months ago I was packing my drawer as part of my promise to clear things up since I have more time on my hand.I saw the handout /paper/ whatever that we collected at the church service of Arthur's funeral. I am not' churchee' enough to use the right word but that is not what I want to blog about. What I wanted to blog about is who Arthur Yoong is to me.
He was the eldest brother of my husband and was the father figure of the family as far as I know. He was a Pastor of the AOG when I first met him. It was on the day M and me were registered and I was having my first sit down dinner with the Yong family. He welcomed me to the family and hoped that I will feel at home.Subsequently, we used to drop by his place once in a while and he always join the family for the CNY. (Maybe as CNY approaches every year, I think of him more).
I was told that in his presence, the other members of the family will tried to be better behaved. ie not dress in shorts or revealing clothing and maybe not gamble during the CNY. I used to be tickled at how the family sees him as a prime and proper Headmaster. It is as if they must be at their best of behaviour whereas in my family, all siblings are treated as equal.We joke and laugh, tease and argue as equals in all aspects.
The funny thing is that I have never seen or heard him demand that from the rest. He is a soft spoken man who speaks with love and care. He never makes you feel small or even different.He is slow moving and he is never impatient. (at least not in my impression). He has never once preached to us as a Pastor but you know he has always pray for the family. He doesn't push his way around nor insist his ways in our presence. I have never heard having anything negative to say about anyone. But you will think of him when you have something to discuss or just tell.
I really can't put it in any Queen's English words but all I know is that he makes me feel comfortable and deep down I just feel I miss him a lot. I was never really close to him but you do feel the tears as I remember him. Faith wise, he has been challenged many a times but he has vision in place and I admire him for that.
Brother Arthur, I am glad I had you for a brother-in -law and may you rest in peace.

No comments: