Monday, July 16, 2012

Is discipline the same as swotting air?

As I travel and was on the road, I do not have my laptop with me. Well I am not that 'canggih' so admit it. But that doesn't mean thoughts and feelings didn't pass me by. The two weeks were full of thoughts and strong vibes. I wanted to blog about so many things I saw and observed. No, not about the scenery and architecture. That I would leave it to the professionals. Neither did I feel that strongly about food even as I am in foreign land. Different maybe but nothing spectacular.

No, I wanted to blog about people's reaction, their habits, the characters I met, the way they carry themselves.Chatty, sincere, racist,concern, friendly, loving and others. So colourful and so interesting and yet sometimes worrying.

Ha ha ha the joke is , after the 18 hours of flight, a fall after I came back, recovering from jet lag, the fever has subsided. Never mind, I do believe it will surface again when the time is right. I will then write again

Back home, over the newspaper, the topic of punishment, caning, discipline in the school resurfaces for the umpteen time. It is so sad. I wanted so much to ask these people especially the educationist involved if they know what is disciple. How is punishments in the school different from  sentences in the court of law. Do they know their role as an educationist? Do they realise that they are dealing with young minds that they have a responsibility to form and not hard core criminals.

Whenever they suspend a child from school or cane a child, do they know why they do it. What are the actions suppose to bring about. Have the child been told why the punishment was meted out be it caning or suspension.Are these actions going to bring about a positive change in the child? Both the actions are and should be meted out but only if the the one carrying it out know why he or she is doing it. Only if the child has been convinced that it should be carried out and and that it will bring about the desired effect. Failing it, no one should even qualify themselves as a disciplinarian. And thus not even qualify to even scold a child what more to suspend or cane them.

Can the authorities go back to the table and clear their minds and then set out to pass the whole concept of discipline to the appropriate people. As long as that is not done(and I don't see that happening in the near future) the whole discussion is equivalent to swotting air!

No comments: