Monday, June 21, 2010

A Wedding Speech

Last Saturday was the first time I spoke at my students' wedding. I was touched.

G was the big brother, obviously, seeing that he was the head boy of the school. In class, he offered an aura of confidence but yet fun to be with as all his classmates can testify. During the 2 years I taught him, he would always tell me not to worry about his studies and I guess today I can say he was right. The other person who was always concern was G’s father. He came in a few times to speak to me about G. He was a good dad, a concerned parent who had bothered to take time off for his sons. I still remember him asking me if I had really thought if G would pass his STPM and go to Uni. I said yes and I am so glad G has proven me right and today we can be proud of G’s achievement.

J on the other hand impressed me as the petite little sweet girl in the other class. I don’t know at which point G saw the little girl and decided to focus on her but he had definitely made a good choice. J is so soft spoken that at times one has to listen hard to hear her. And obviously she has shown that little girls with soft voices can do big things. You have achieved much, though I wonder if you will give up part of it for your future family. Either choice, remember that I believe you will do well. May I say something once more to Mr B senior as I know you are here tonight. You told me once that you had always wanted a little girl of your own and tonight I also want to let you know that J would make a good daughter-in-law.

To J and G, allow me to be your teacher again tonight and share with you some thoughts

Tonight is not the end of your courtship but rather the start of a lifetime together, to share, and to build up. It is said that
Getting married is easy,
Staying married is more difficult
Staying happily married for a lifetime should rank among the fine arts.

God says
J was created from G’s rib
Not from G’s head was J created to be above him,
Not from G’s feet to be stepped on,
J is created from G’s side to be equal to him,
From under his arm to be protected by G
Close to his heart to be loved by him.

The Bible says
Wives are to be submissive to your husbands so that he may be won over by your purity and reverence of your life.
G, remember at all times to treat J with respect for J will make your life complete.
Together you will both form the perfect picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs Yong

ON behalf of J and me, thank you again for the sweet messages and speech. It really meant a lot for the both of us.

Yes, we will remember what you have said, and dont worry, we will be keeping you updated!

Love always,
G and J