Thursday, April 24, 2008

After Retirement

Having blog about the family, what about me?
As I enter into the new year as a retiree, it is confirmed that how we run our life is totally dependent on our selves. I feel that most people fear retirement with only 2 thoughts in mind. One is obviously concerning finance and secondly, how they are going to spend their time.

Hubby and me met up with a schoolmate who has been a friend for donkey years and as all conversation goes for people in the 50’s, the topic of retirement crop up. It is surprising that people can view it with a question ‘But what are you going to do then?’ I feel that what we can do is entirely up to us. We have spent the last 30 years doing what our career requires us to do so. We played the part of bringing up and enjoying our kids. But don’t we have any other interest in life? As for me, I have a variety of interest. I love reading which has been put aside for years. I read novels, trash sobby love stories, language, hobbies, geography, philosophy, feng shui, investment and anything else I can get my hands on. (Having said that, I have dropped a number of topics off my list like character building, teambuilding and motivation!) I also would like to pick up on handicrafts like sewing, patchwork and paper craft. (Only problem is that all these need money which all retirees need to be careful about.) I am waiting for my husband to reach 55 too so that we could do leisure holidays together. We talk about slow moving holidays where we just move around and enjoy each others company (and if we got bored with each other we still have the scenery to look at, ; ) ) . I would like to go back to the cinema and enjoy the big screen. That I might need to do it myself or with the kids because hubby sleep whenever the show stars. Trying out recipes and cooking for my loved ones is another thing I would enjoy. Not forgetting the basic being a couch potato and start discovery what Astro can offer. 10 months have passed and I haven’t done much and that is the good part. There is no time limit. Maybe it is because little Au is still in pre-U and the boys are still staying with us. I know that there will come a time that they will leave the nest and while wanting to prepare them to be on their own, I still want to enjoy the last few years of pampering them, hugging them, teasing them and just having them near me.
Financially, I also realize that income have dropped drastically and while the pension will be there as long as the death certificate is not issued, inflation will set in. The worth of the pension will drop as the years go by. As we age, medical fees will come in and God know how our last years will be spent. It could be totally dependency. (Fingers crossed but who knows. My thoughts on death will be another interesting topic to blog on) While I can I hope to venture through the financial door, learn enough to make some sound decisions and preparation.
All I want to say is that there is a life after 55 that is much more challenging. I intend to take it up and make the best of it. There is still a home to run, a family to love, lost ideas to be found, interests to be revived and a whole big world to discover. Our career is nothing but a speck compared to it.

No comments: